The Ernst Barlach Theater in Güstrow is a guest theater with 365 seats. The program offers a varied program of spoken word, music and dance theater, children's and youth theater, cabaret, cabaret, rock and jazz concerts, and symphony concerts.
The Ernst Barlach Theater in Güstrow is the oldest civic theater in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The classicist building was erected in 1828 according to plans by the Schwerin architect Georg Adolph Demmler with donations from the citizens of Güstrow.
A fundamental renovation of the aging theater building took place in 1955-57, leaving only the listed facade. Inside the theater, however, extensive renovations had become necessary because moisture and sponge had destroyed the masonry. The stage, including the backstage, was enlarged and the stage equipment modernized. Since its reopening, the Güstrow municipal theater has borne the name "Ernst-Barlach-Theater". Since 1976, the theater has been run by the district.