Originally built as a ducal horse stable, the Güstrow city fathers acquired the building in 1817 to store the wool produced in the country. Today, the wool hall houses modern gallery spaces in a historic ambience
The wool hall was not only a storage place, but due to its central location to the river Nebel also a place of trade. On July 2, 1818, the first wool market took place in the wool hall, which was held annually thereafter. Already in 1820 the wool hall proved to be too small for the wool delivered from 156 sheepfolds and so in 1823 the town treasury decided not only to renovate the building, but also to add 2 floors. An extension housed the scales, an elevator winch, a staircase and an office. The building thus acquired its present appearance.
In 1993, the city made its first attempts to organize exhibitions in the Wool Hall. In 1999, the building was completely renovated, preserving the historical layout of the rooms. With a little imagination, one can even guess the former horse stable and by preserving the original elevator winch, the use as a wool hall is also still recognizable.