The garden of Güstrow Castle was first mentioned in 1570 and was subsequently redesigned several times. On the occasion of the 750th anniversary of Güstrow, the garden was rededicated in 1978. Old plans formed the basis for the design.
Duke Ulrich of Mecklenburg had an elaborately designed pleasure garden built at the same time as the Renaissance palace was built. The subsequent dukes of Mecklenburg redesigned the garden and adapted it to the taste of the time; among other things, it was expanded with early Baroque buildings.
The palace and garden were only used for a few years after the extinction of the Güstrow ducal line in 1695. Due to the vacancy, the decay accelerated in the course of the following years. It was not until restoration work was carried out in the 1960s and 1970s that the pleasure garden was rebuilt. In its present form, it borrows from the 17th and early 18th century depictions.