Christmas cribs from all over the world can be seen in a permanent exhibition. Interesting are the variety of materials used as well as the different ways of processing. Unusual materials include nuts, bread dough, tree bark or banana leaves. The nativity scenes were, for example, mouth-blown, punched or woven.
The chapel is one of the oldest preserved Gothic buildings in the town. It was first mentioned in 1308. In 1524, it was the place where the first Lutheran sermon was held in Güstrow.From 1824 to 1945, it was used as a church for the farm labor house in Güstrow Castle. Until 1973, the chapel was the place of worship for the Güstrow congregation, after which it was used as a building depot due to dilapidation.After extensive renovation work from 2005 - 2007, the North German Nativity Museum opened its doors in the Church of the Holy Spirit in December 2007. Mechthild Ringguth from Hamburg collected the majority of them over 40 years in about 60 countries. Additional cribs were added through endowments. The entire stock comprises about 500 cribs. The cribs are mostly commissioned works, made by local artists. The variety of forms, materials, size and design is ethnologically very interesting and underlines the uniqueness and value of this collection.