A church is always a haven of peace? Not so with the fortified church in Mechow. This special way of church building is characterized by battlements, embrasures or particularly thick walls. Sometimes they really were defensive structures, but sometimes crenellations and the like served only for ornamental decoration.
The church in Mechow is a small but quite imposing church, the hallmark of which are the very strong fieldstone dry-stone walls. Like so many churches of this time and region, Mechow's sacral building was erected in the 13th century as a rectangular rockstone structure. Almost nothing has been changed in it since then. Perhaps two additional windows have been added, otherwise the two renovations in 1897 and 1992 have preserved the original state. The many round arches reveal the Romanesque character of the church. To get inside, ask in the village for the key to the church.