Bützow Castle once served as a bishop's residence.
In 1239, the bishops of Schwerin built a castle, which was rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau in the mid-16th century under Duke Ulrich. Unfortunately, little remains of the ring-like castle complex. Only the three-bay bishop's chapel, in which a museum of local history has been established in the meantime, gives an idea of the past. Since its reconstruction in 1910/1911, the original Renaissance castle has been a simple, three-story plaster building with a high gable roof. The foundation walls date back to the 13th or 14th century. In GDR times, the building served as a cultural center and later housed a library and museum. For several years, the castle has now been renovated for use as a company headquarters with offices and company apartments.