The church is a single-nave all-brick church, begun in the early 13th century as a Romanesque building and completed in the mid-13th century in the Gothic style.
It is one of the oldest town churches in Mecklenburg and its main structure has remained unchanged until today. The chancel and nave are each covered with two-bay steep vaults, which give the church interior a remarkable impression due to their mightiness. The tower on the west side of the nave appears massive and dominates the center of the town with its four-sided pyramidal helmet. The exterior facade of the church contains typical architectural features from the Romanesque and Gothic periods. On the south side of the church there is a more recent addition from 1830. The furnishings are sparse. Very remarkable is a cross with Christ from the 13th century, which was probably extended to a crucifixion group only in the 16th/17th century, as well as the Madonna figure ca. 1500, a sandstone baptism from 1589 and a wall epitaph from 1598. The current interior of the church with pews, pulpit and altar is neo-Gothic and from the years 1828/29. The organ was built in 1860 by Friedrich Winzer from Wismar.
Guided tours are also available by appointment. Concerts are held regularly in the church.