View into the permanent exhibition of the Atelierhaus, © Christin Sobeck / Archiv Ernst Barlach Stiftung
Exhibitions and Galleries, Museums, barrier-free

Ernst Barlach (1870-1938) was not only a draftsman, graphic artist and writer, but also one of the most important sculptors of German Expressionism. In his studio house and the Gertruden Chapel, the Ernst Barlach Museums Güstrow present the world's largest contiguous collection of works by the internationally renowned artist.

In the midst of the Heidberge, directly on the shore of the Güstrow island lake, lived and worked one of the most important German sculptors, graphic artists and writers of the 20th century: Ernst Barlach.
The expressionist artist had moved to the small town in Mecklenburg in 1910 and created most of his multifaceted work here. At the center of his work was always the human being with his emotions, worries and hardships, for which Barlach found a timeless formal language reduced to the essential.
Important artistic successes in the 1920s were followed by hostility as a degenerate artist, which Barlach resisted in the form of his Wanderer in the Wind. Nevertheless, he had to experience the successive repression of his art from the public sphere until his death in 1938.
With the end of the Nazi era, Barlach's art experienced a rehabilitation that made him - along with Wilhelm Lehmbruck (1881-1919) and Georg Kolbe (1877-1947) - one of the most important, internationally esteemed sculptors of the first half of the 20th century.

The Ernst Barlach Museums in Güstrow preserve the world's largest estate of the artist with works from all creative periods. As early as 1953, the first Barlach memorial was opened in the Gertruden Chapel. To this day, the Gothic chapel houses some 30 sculptural works by Ernst Barlach, including Reading Monastery Student, The Bound Witch, The Doubter and Woman in the Wind. In the nearby Güstrow Cathedral, the world-famous World War I memorial, The Hovering Man by Ernst Barlach, can be seen.

The Atelierhaus am Heidberg, built in 1930/31, has been open to visitors since 1978 and, in addition to works such as Singender Mann (Singing Man), Der Träumer (The Dreamer) and the designs for Barlach's numerous memorials, presents an insight into the life and work of the artist. With the establishment of the Ernst Barlach Foundation in 1994, the foundation stone was laid to preserve Ernst Barlach's diverse œuvre at its authentic place of work and to present it to the public.
With top-class special exhibitions, concerts, readings and creative workshops, the Ernst Barlach Museums Güstrow invite visitors to a lively dialogue with Barlach's art. Individual offers for school classes, private family celebrations, hen parties or corporate events round off the range of events.

Picture gallery

Good to know

Ratings
Contact

Ernst Barlach Museen Güstrow - Atelierhaus

Heidberg 15
18273 Güstrow


+49 3843 844000
https://www.ernst-barlach-stiftung.de
Arrival

Your destination:
Ernst Barlach Museen Güstrow - Atelierhaus
Heidberg 15
18273 Güstrow



Relaxed from door to door:

Plan your journey by public transport here.

Route planner:

Plan your journey by car here.

What's nearby?

To the map
© Wiebke Hörring

Children Youth Art House Güstrow

  • Baustraße, 18273 Güstrow

We show seen and invented from all workshops: painting, graphics, textiles and objects. Figures in the variety of their shape testify to the imagination of the children and young people. The exhibition encourages participation - material is ready.

Read more: "Children Youth Art House Güstrow"
© Schloß Vietgest

Vietgest castle

  • Schloßstr., 18279 Vietgest

In romantic Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, almost halfway between Hamburg and Berlin, surrounded by dreamy ponds and picturesque lakes, you will find the imposing 230-year-old castle with its eventful history. Schloss Vietgest has reopened in 2020 as a cultural and event location as well as a castle hotel.

Read more: "Vietgest castle"
Gertrude Chapel, © Steffen Hoffmann

Ernst Barlach Museums Güstrow - Gertruden Chapel

  • Gertrudenplatz, 18273 Güstrow

Located not far from the center of Güstrow, the Gothic Gertruden Chapel was opened in 1953 as the first Barlach Museum in Güstrow. The chapel houses about 30 sculptures and reliefs by Ernst Barlach, all of which were created during the Güstrow period.

Read more: "Ernst Barlach Museums Güstrow - Gertruden Chapel"
© Gut Gremmelin

Gut Gremmelin

  • Am Hofsee, 18279 Gremmelin

Gut Gremmelin is a private hotel in a historic manor estate with gardens and bathing lake. Regular art exhibitions and cultural events attract guests from near and far. The good organic cuisine delights the palate and the soul. Take part in painting or cookery courses supervised by professionals or restore energy levels with yoga and hiking.

Read more: "Gut Gremmelin"
© Christoph Nahr

Güstrow Cathedral

  • Domplatz, 18273 Güstrow

Construction of the cathedral began in 1226 and was not completed until 1335 with the consecration of the altar. The transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic period can be clearly seen at Güstrow Cathedral. The cruciform ground plan and the elongated choir room point to the Romanesque concept. The massive west tower is 44 meters high.

Read more: "Güstrow Cathedral"
© Helga Möbius

Parish Church of St. Mary

  • Open today
  • Markt, 18273 Güstrow

The Güstrow parish church stands on the market square in the immediate vicinity of the town hall. The first documented mention of the parish church dates back to 1308. After the fire in the center of Güstrow in 1503, which also destroyed the church, it was rebuilt and consecrated in 1508. When you enter the parish church, the first thing you see is the completely restored Jan Borman altar from 1522. This work of art, the ornate pulpit, the impressive organ and a small Barlach angel are already reasons enough to take a look around. But there is one very special highlight that you should not miss: 196 steps lead up to the 41 meter high observation deck of the highest building in Güstrow. A magnificent view over the city and Heidberge, the lakes and the meadows leaves many tourists amazed.

Read more: "Parish Church of St. Mary"
© SSGK M-V / Timm Allrich

Güstrow Castle

  • Temporarily closed
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

On the edge of the old town of Güstrow, one of the most important Renaissance castles in Northern Europe surprises with its southern charm. Magnificent stucco ceilings from the time of construction have been preserved. Extensive renovation work is currently taking place in the castle. Due to this, the castle museum is not open to the public.

Read more: "Güstrow Castle"
© Florian Foest

Friedrichshof Manor

  • Kastanienallee, 18299 Dolgen

The manor house is a family-run hotel with restaurant, hunting room, cellar bar and sun terrace. It is situated in a single location at the Hohen Sprenzer See in the hills of Mecklenburg Switzerland.

Read more: "Friedrichshof Manor"
The Güstrow town hall with classicist facade, © Christoph Nahr

City Hall Güstrow

  • Closed today
  • Markt, 18273 Güstrow

None of the Mecklenburg town halls of classicism looks as festive and inviting as this one in Güstrow.

Read more: "City Hall Güstrow"
Municipal Gallery Wollhalle, © André Hamann

Municipal Gallery Wollhalle

  • Open today
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

Originally built as a ducal horse stable, the Güstrow city fathers acquired the building in 1817 to store the wool produced in the country. Today, the wool hall houses modern gallery spaces in a historic ambience

Read more: "Municipal Gallery Wollhalle"
Freizeit- und Familienpark Miniaturstadt Bützow, © Freizeit- und Familienpark Miniaturstadt Bützow

Leisure and family park miniature town Bützow

  • Nebelring, 18246 Bützow

Bützow in miniature, the "miniature town", is equally attractive to locals and guests. Set back in time to around 1850, the viewer here feels like a giant in dwarf land.

Read more: "Leisure and family park miniature town Bützow"
Exhibition in the City Museum, © André Hamann

City Museum Güstrow

  • Open today
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

Since 2003, the Güstrow City Museum has had a new location: it is located above the city archives in the hospital of a country workhouse built in 1826.

Read more: "City Museum Güstrow"
Crib from Germany, © Uwe Seemann

North German Nativity Museum

  • Heiligengeisthof, 18273 Güstrow

Christmas cribs from all over the world can be seen in a permanent exhibition. Interesting are the variety of materials used as well as the different ways of processing. Unusual materials include nuts, bread dough, tree bark or banana leaves. The nativity scenes were, for example, mouth-blown, punched or woven.

Read more: "North German Nativity Museum"
© Stadt Güstrow

Güstrow castle garden

  • Open today
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

The garden of Güstrow Castle was first mentioned in 1570 and was subsequently redesigned several times. On the occasion of the 750th anniversary of Güstrow, the garden was rededicated in 1978. Old plans formed the basis for the design.

Read more: "Güstrow castle garden"
© Rainer Boldt

Collegiate church Bützow

  • Kirchenplatz, 18246 Bützow

Visits outside visiting hours are possible at any time by arrangement. Visitors report to the parish office in Bützow, Kirchenstraße 04.

Read more: "Collegiate church Bützow"
to the list

Content is loaded