St. Peter's Church was first mentioned in 1252.
It is the oldest church building in Rostock and was built as a three-nave Gothic basilica. In 1942 the church was severely destroyed by bombs and all valuables were destroyed. The Gothic structure is adorned by a 117-meter-high copper tower, which was restored in 1994 with donations from Rostock residents. The viewing platform at a height of 55 meters can be climbed on foot or by elevator.