The Water Gate is the last existing of originally five city gates, which were integrated in a four meter high city wall. It bears its name because it faces the harbor.
The gate, which followed a predecessor building around 1450, was built in the late Gothic style. While the gate on the city side still has a typical late Gothic stepped gable, the north gable, which was rebuilt around 1600, is in the form of a triangle. Both gable facades are decorated with fascias and two coats of arms each, with the split city coat of arms on the left and the old city coat of arms on the right.