The museum collects, preserves and presents historical monuments, material testimonies and documents from the history of the rural area on a floor space of just over 1,000 m² in its five buildings as well as on the nature trails and open spaces.
The collection focuses on local history, folklore, work, handicraft and everyday tools, toys, teaching and learning aids, textiles, documents, written material, postcards, photos, especially from the 20th century. One of the special features of the museum is that it was created with the help of many inhabitants of the region, the municipality and the Förderverein Region Güstrow e.V.. Important projects were also supported by state and federal authorities. The resulting exhibitions in some of the technical facilities, farm and residential buildings, which were built in the 19th and 20th centuries and are typical of the village today, are a contribution to the preservation of the evolved historical structure of the village of Lohmen.
The storehouse in the Chausseestraße - built in 1910 as a barn of a leasehold - is open from May to October Tue - Sat 3 - 5 pm. Special and permanent exhibitions on various topics can be viewed here. The inhabitants of the region and their guests have gathered utensils and tools from everyday life, field and horticulture and handicrafts, which reflect the development of rural life and work in the course of the 20th century since the end of the 19th century.
In the parsonage barn (tourist information) - open on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - an impressive wooden beam architecture up to the cane roof as well as older equipment for fodder processing can be visited.
The other facilities are made accessible during guided tours of the village, or a visit to the 30 km long Archaeological Trail is a recommended hiking destination.
Admission to the store is free, but any donation is welcome.