None of the Mecklenburg town halls of classicism looks as festive and inviting as this one in Güstrow.
Like all other buildings on the square, the Güstrow town hall was built only after the great city fires at the beginning of the 16th century. Around 1700, the town hall still consisted of five different gabled houses arranged next to each other, one of which had a tower. In the second half of the 18th century the town hall was rebuilt several times. At that time, the Audience Hall, today the City Representatives Hall, was built with a figurative stucco ceiling by Johann Metz and the motif "Justice and Peace" (1754).
In 1798, the facade was redesigned according to the designs of the Güstrow master builder David Anton Kufahl, which connected the five gabled houses into one structure. The fact that the town hall and the church were placed in the middle of the market square is unusual in Mecklenburg and can only be found in Güstrow. From 2001-2002 the town hall was extensively restored. The design of the facade was based on the historical model.