Rechlin's development is closely linked to aviation technology. Already during the First World War, a railroad connection was built and an aviation testing and training institute was handed over. All activities come to a standstill as a result of the Treaty of Versailles. It was not until 1934 that the site was rapidly expanded to become the largest test site of the German Air Force on the Müritz. Housing estates (today Rechlin and Rechlin-Nord) with the corresponding infrastructure were built, and the Mirower Canal and the Claassee-Müritz link were constructed. The village acquires its settlement structure, which is atypical for a Mecklenburg village.
Around 1940, around 4000 people lived and worked in Rechlin. In addition, there were conscripts, forced laborers and concentration camp prisoners who were deployed as auxiliary workers at the testing site. The constant expansion of the Lärz airfield required extensive earthworks and leveling work. During this time, Rechlin undoubtedly achieved top organizational, engineering and aeronautical performances. Rechlin was developed into an important garrison base and divided into two parts by a wall, the German and Russian sectors. This wall only fell in 1993 with the withdrawal of the last CIS forces.