"From 1237, the farming village of Lärz belonged to the "(Hinter-) Sandprobstei" of Dobbertin Monastery. The church was commissioned by Joachim von Basewitz, hereditary lord of Lütten Walmdorf and Wendorff, captain of Dobertin Monastery and "patronus" of Lärz. The first Protestant visitation took place in October 1557. The Lärz chronicle dates the construction of a church to 1618. This building was consecrated four years later and extended in 1724, as can be seen from the weather vane. The associated rectory was built in 1750.
The church organ was built in 1895 by the company Schlag & Söhne from Schweidnitz (Silesia). It is the only completely preserved instrument in Mecklenburg from this organ-building company, which no longer exists today. The special feature of the organ is the juxtaposition of pneumatic manual and pedal with technical action. There are five stops for the manual and one stop for the pedal. After the organ had been unplayable for many years, it was thoroughly overhauled and restored by Mecklenburger Orgelbau Arnold in 2005. The Lärz Mixed Choir made a great contribution to the organ."