The hook terrace was built at the beginning of the 20th century on the site of the old fort Leopold. It is 500 meters long and 19 meters high. The architectural ensemble includes, among others, the National Museum and the Theater of Modern Times.
Wały Chrobrego (Haken Terrace) were built on the site of the former Fort Leopold, which was demolished in the second half of the 19th century. The decision to build the terraces was made at the beginning of the 20th century thanks to the efforts of the then mayor Hermann Haken. The design of the complex was made by the most famous Szczecin architect Wilhelm Meyer-Schwartau. The terraces are 500 meters long and rise 19 meters above the Oder line. From here one can see the islands of Grodzka, Bielawa and Łasztnia, the right bank of the Odra river, its channels and branches.
In 1902-1907 pavilions were built on the terraces and stairs. On the walls there are panels with motifs of marine fauna and flora, as well as the coats of arms of Szczecin and other coastal cities. At the top of the terraces a walkway lined with trees was built, in the middle part a smaller semicircular terrace was built a little lower. In its center there is a sculpture by Ludvig Manzl depicting the fight between a man and a centaur. Below it is a large fountain, in front of which two lanterns were built, stylized as lighthouses.
The next stage of construction of the terraces was the construction of representative public buildings on their upper side. In the middle part, the building of the Municipal Museum was built in 1908-1911, also according to the plans of Wilhelm Meyer-Schwartau. The official opening of the complex took place on June 23, 1913, it was planned to extend it towards the park located behind the buildings - however, due to the outbreak of World War I and as a result of the crisis in Germany, the complex was never completed. Currently, the building houses the National Museum in Szczecin and the stage of the Teatr Współczesny.
On the right side of the museum building, according to the design of Paul Kieschke, the building of the High Presidium of the Prussian Province of Pomerania was built, which today houses the West Pomeranian Voivodeship Office. The building was erected in 1906-1912. On the left side of the museum building two buildings were erected: the Pomeranian Provincial Insurance Office, built in 1902-1905 according to the plans of Emil Drews, and the headquarters of the Main Customs Directorate, started by Hinckledeyn and completed the latest (1918-1921, by Osterwold). Today both buildings are combined into one and houses the Maritime Academy.
The terraces survived the war without major damage. After 1945, German names were replaced by Polish ones, a restaurant was built in the basement of the North Pavilion, and wooden buildings with two restaurants were erected at the ends of the avenue. After 1989 the facades of the terraces and the buildings of the National Museum and the West Pomeranian Voivodeship Office and the "lighthouses" were cleaned. Also the memorial plaque with a dedication to the Lord Mayor Hermann Haken was restored.
The whole is one of the most interesting urban building ensembles from the beginning of the 20th century in this part of Europe. Besides, Wały Chrobrego are probably the most famous place of Szczecin in Poland. The object was entered into the Voivodeship Monuments List in December 1996.