The historic station building of Wismar dates back to around 1847.
Regional traffic runs from Wismar station in the direction of Bad Doberan and Rostock, as well as in the direction of Schwerin. Today, long-distance trains no longer run in Wismar. The railroad classifies the station in station category 5. Today, the station building is a listed building. After the construction of the railroad line from Schwerin to Wismar, a station was needed at its terminus. The chosen location offered a convenient connection to the port of Wismar. The first buildings were erected as early as the end of 1847, such as two sheds for material and sleepers or the cyanization building. Later, the locomotive shed, a wagon shed and an equipment shed as well as the coke magazine and a coke oven were added.