The "Old Swede" is considered the first town house in the city and was built around 1380. Today it houses a restaurant with home-style cooking.
One of the oldest town houses in Wismar stands on the east side of the market square. It is one of the most beautiful and valuable late Gothic secular buildings in our country with Hanseatic character. The brick building with the stepped pillar gable was built around 1380. In the Middle Ages, the first floor of the house was occupied by residential and commercial premises, with the granary floors above.
The popular name "Alte Schwede" (Old Swede) can be traced back to a historicist restaurant furnished in neo-Gothic style in the second half of the last century. It was intended as a reminder of Wismar's affiliation with Sweden from 1648 to 1803.