The former Cistercian nunnery "Himmelspforte" is located on the southern shore of the Schaalsee. The monastery complex, which is well worth seeing, can be visited. There is an exhibition on the history, as well as guided tours and audio guides.
The Cistercian nunnery in Zarrentin am Schaalsee was founded in 1246 by Countess Audacia von Schwerin and her son, later Count Gunzelin III. The monastery served for education, and also as a refuge for the daughters of the counts and vassals from the neighboring counties and for daughters of Lübeck patrician families. The monastery was dissolved in 1552 and was subsequently used as a granary, brewery, district court, youth hostel, residential building, library and local history museum.
Restoration and current use
Between 2003 and 2006, the monastery was extensively renovated and now shines in new splendor. Since its completion, guided tours, concerts, readings, exhibitions as well as discussion and information events have taken place here. A permanent exhibition in the cloister provides information about the history of the former monastery and its various uses, and there are also regular guided tours of the monastery and church. The refectory and the baroque hall are impressive settings for cultural events. Of particular architectural interest are the ornate cross-ribbed vaults on the first floor of the monastery.
Opening hours: See website