The building at the former harbor market, today a part of the waterway, originated in its core in the Middle Ages.
"The task of the city scales was the official control of weights and measures. It was mentioned for the first time in 1279.
Today it represents the last preserved example of its kind in the Baltic cities. After several reconstructions and severe war damage, the two-storey building was restored to its original form in 1991 and 1992. Today, the town scale houses the municipal children's library."