The gate to Stralsund's Old Market. The northern gate of the city is one of the former 10 city gates.
The Kniepertor was mentioned in a document as early as 1293 and received its name after an influential burgher family, which was active in the Hanseatic city in the thirteenth century. It is the northernmost of the original ten city gates of Stralsund. In its present appearance, the rectangular building with its low tower and a pointed arch passageway was built in the 15th century. Today, only the inner gate is preserved, since in 1874, for the sake of traffic flow, the Knieper outer gate and the gate scribe's house were demolished.
Knieper Street connects the Old Market with the Knieper Gate. A memorial stone and a plaque, on the side of the gate facing the city, commemorate Friedrich Gustav von Petersson a comrade-in-arms of Ferdinand von Schill.
The Kniepertor is a listed monument and part of the brick route in Stralsund.