The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Wesenberg
The Evangelical Lutheran Church is located in the center of Wesenberg, in the middle of the landscape of the Mecklenburg Lake District. Next to the castle, the church is the oldest building in the town and was built of erratic blocks and bricks.
Construction began as early as 1250, the nave with its vaults dates back to the second half of the 14th century and the ring wall of the choir and the tower base also date from this time. Already in 1337 the church is mentioned as completed. In 1529 the first Protestant pastor came to Wesenberg and with that the Reformation came here. During the great town fire in 1706, the church also burned and all 5 bells melted, the clock was buried under rubble and the organ was damaged. Only the walls and the vault are preserved and so the reconstruction of St. Mary's Church in Wesenberg begins as early as 1707 and in 1708 the parsonage is rebuilt. Until 1996, the church is now built, restored, a small bell is hung, a large bell is hung, a new clock is bought and some work is done on the roof.
The Wesenberg church is connected with a legend, which revolves around the chain on the northern entrance door. This chain has no beginning and no end and so it is believed that after a dispute between the town fathers and the local blacksmith, the devil himself forged this chain. Even today you can marvel at "The Devil's Chain" from all sides.