The village of Basedow was first mentioned in a document on January 14, 1247 - in connection with the consecration of the church of Malchin by the Bishop of Camin. The rectangular chancel of the church, made of fieldstones, dates from this time.
The larger nave was built about 200 years later. The crypt annex attached to the chancel on the north side - called the mausoleum - dates from the 16th century and was given its present neo-Gothic form in 1834 by the architect and landscape designer Stüler. The shape of the bell tower was also created in 1853 according to a design by the same, as was the "Stüler'sche Tor" (Stüler's Gate) in the cemetery wall, which was recently able to be renovated.
The interior of the church is characterized by the altar and the epitaphs, which are designed in the style of the late Renaissance, and the organ with its Baroque prospectus. On the south wall there are tombstones from the 16th century, which were originally in the floor. The richly decorated altar was created in 1592. Set into a sandstone surround are marble reliefs: in the center, the Last Supper; next to it, on the left and right, the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ; above, the Ascension; and at the base, Jesus in Gethsemane. Surrounding this are allegorical figures and colorful coats of arms and inscription panels that testify to the pride of the Hahn family of founders.
The organ from 1680 is the work of Samuel Gerke and Heinrich Herbst. It is the oldest surviving baroque organ in Mecklenburg.
Group tours of the church by appointment.