St. Mary's Church, Wismar
The 80-metre-high tower of St. Mary's Church is a widely visible landmark of the Hanseatic city of Wismar. In World War II the church was severely damaged. The church was mostly demolished in 1960, so that only the tower remained. Until then, it was considered one of the most beautiful brick churches in Northern Germany.
The construction of the church began around 1270. During the Middle Ages the tower served as an orientation sign for ships approaching Wismar. In World War II, the St. Mary's Church was severely damaged in 1945 and then demolished up to the tower in 1960.
During regular tower tours, visitors enjoy an impressive view of the city. A 3-D film presentation shows the development and techniques of the Gothic brick building. The figure of Bruno Brick vividly explains the way from clay, the building material of the church, the burning of the shaped bricks to the brickwork construction for all age groups.
April - September daily 10 am to 6 pm
October - March daily 10 am to 4 pm