St. Nicholas' was the church of sailors and navigators. Its 37-metre-high nave is the fourth highest nave in Germany. Construction of the present church began in the 14th century.
Originally, the tower of St. Nicholas' Church had a slender roof ridge, which fell victim to a hurricane in 1703. The collapse of the tower also destroyed large parts of the interior furnishings, which were then replaced in baroque style. After the war, the rich furnishings were supplemented by works of art from the destroyed churches of St. George and St. Mary's.