The skyline of the town of Parchim in the Mecklenburg-Schwerin region is characterised by St Mary's Church, an impressive example of the late Romanesque church buildings in Mecklenburg.
It is a brick building on a cobble stone foundation from the time of the transition from the late Romanesque to the early Gothic style and it is steeped in legend. It was inaugurated in 1278. The church belongs to the European Route of Brick Gothic.
The most valuable parts of the interior design include the bronze baptismal font from 1365, the carved winged altar with 24 saints from the 15th century and a Renaissance pulpit from 1601 and an organ from the late 17th century. The Jewish tombstones of the 13th and 14th century are also noteworthy.
During the renovation of the church, visits are possible on request.