The chapel, created in 1291 by Cistercian monks, received its current brick church form in 1440.
In 1322, a church was built on the Rügen island of Ummanz, of which, however, only small remains of building fabric have been preserved. Written evidence of the construction of today's St. Mary's Church does not exist. However, the choir and the nave east wall were probably built soon after the middle of the 15th century. A particularly precious piece is the Antwerp carved altar, which was made around 1520/25. The winged altar consists of three parts: the shrine, the painted wings and the predella painted with banners. The depictions from the life of the saint are probably a commissioned work. The pulpit from 1572, a crucifix on the chancel north wall (around 1500), a bronze chandelier from the 15th century, two chandeliers from the 17th century, a baptismal font dated to the 8th century AD, and the organ from 1924 are just some of the other sights in the small village church. In summer, numerous concerts are held here.
The Waas Church is open for visitation and silent prayer during the warm months:
Mid May - end of September: Tue - Fri 11 am - 4 pm,
October: Tue - Fri 11 a.m. - 2.30 p.m.
Closed in winter