The Rostock Gate is the only one of the original five gates of the old city fortification that has been preserved. The Gothic gate representing the city to the outside was built at the beginning of the 15th century.
A predecessor building was mentioned in documents as early as 1290. The first four nuns of the Poor Clares convent entered the town through it in 1329. Over the centuries, the fortified building has withstood all fires, wars and attempts at demolition.
In 1930, the gatehouse on the south side was demolished to allow traffic to pass the gate in one direction. Today, the surrounding area has been redesigned and the road runs next to the gate. Iron bars embedded on the city side of the gatehouse mark the formerly obligatory normals of the city. The original street level is indicated by an archaeological window in the gateway.
During the summer months, interesting exhibitions on the history of the city invite visitors to visit the Rostock Gate. From all sides and at any time of the year this building exerts a special attraction on the viewer and has served as a model for many artists - probably the most famous among them - Lyonel Feininger.