In the middle of the 19th century, the forestry industry set new accents by introducing new woody plants, still unknown in this country, into native forests. The first attempt to do this in Mecklenburg resulted in the Lüttenhagen Paradise Garden, which is now open again to all interested visitors.
The Paradise Garden in Lüttenhagen was opened in 1881 as a forest botanical experimental garden to test novel plants, such as do not occur naturally in this country, for their suitability to be grown as commercial timber. The pioneer garden in Mecklenburg contained 27 different tree species in its original planting, of which unfortunately only a few have survived today. This is because after the First World War the area became overgrown, and the lack of care had caused many trees to die. In 1995, however, the arboretum was reconstructed: Footpaths were rebuilt, signage was renewed, and the site was expanded from its original 0.45 hectares to 2.20 hectares, incorporating the old orchard and part of the adjacent beech grove.
Today, seven different species that have survived the times still bear witness to the former park: silver fir, horse chestnut, bitternut, Lawson's false cypress, pea-fruited false cypress, late blossoming weeping cherry and coastal Douglas fir. With the reconstruction, 100 yews were replanted under beech trees for the Year of the Yew in 1994. The forest garden is dominated by the stately growth of Douglas firs. Since May 2012, an additional 16 large wooden "forest spirits" have enriched the small park. The figures show partly "classic" spirits like Rübezahl or Pan, partly also very original and unusual variants and make a visit to the Paradise Garden even more varied and interesting.