The neo-Gothic stately brick building, one of the largest in the region, was built in 1875-1880 on a cruciform ground plan by the architect and preservationist Georg Daniel. Both inside and outside, the church is an imposing neo-Gothic ensemble, pure in style.
The church was designed by architect Georg Daniel, who also executed some of the buildings of the residence ensemble of Schwerin. The interior decoration of the 19th century includes the altarpiece "Christ the Risen" painted by Carl Suhrlandt, detailed painting, cast-iron stoves and an organ by the master organ builder Johann Heinrich Runges. Particularly harmonious and beautiful is the effect of the wooden ceiling of the church with its filigree details. The statue of the Virgin Mary was donated by a local sculptor.