The Ernst Moritz Arndt Museum is the oldest museum on the Island of Rügen.
It was built in 1936/37 according to a design by the Berlin architect Erhard Schmidt. The founder of the museum was Ernst Wiedemann (1883 - 1958), a teacher and cantor in Garz, an outstanding researcher of Rügen and a publicist. Since its inauguration, the museum bears the name of the writer Ernst Moritz Arndt (1769 Rügen - 1860 Bonn), who was born in the neighboring village of Groß Schoritz. The work and impact of the pugnacious political publicist provide ample material for a critical examination of literature and history.
Literary-inspired exhibitions also provide our visitors with insights into the cultural history of the town and the Island of Rügen. The extraordinary museum and bibliophile collection forms the content-related foundation for a lively program of the museum, which, as a cultural dialogue space, always poses questions to the present as well.