The Commandantenhus was built when Stralsund was still Swedish. It is located on the Old Market Square.
As one of the Swedish government buildings, the Kommandantur was built in 1748 - 51. It served as the administrative headquarters of the garrison commander. From 1950 to 1990 the house was used by the military for cultural purposes and after a long period of vacancy was renovated in 2002 / 2003. The coat of arms in the gable triangle, which was removed in the 1950s, was reattached to the Commandant's House in 2003 in a replica.