Large parts of the 700-year-old city wall are still preserved and have been steadily restored in recent decades.
Compared to other medieval cities, large parts of the city wall are still preserved in Stralsund. In the 13th century, the fortification was still made of piles. It was gradually replaced by a stone wall with towers and battlements in the 14th century. The area of the city wall between the former Hospital Gate and the Kütertor, which still exists today, was restored in the 1960's. The battlements and the Wiekhäuser are also still preserved here. Of the once ten gates, two still exist - the Kniepertor, mentioned in a document as early as 1293, today used as an original dwelling, and the already mentioned Kütertor. The latter was built in 1446 and is sparsely articulated with blinds on both sides. A tent roof with lantern and steep helmet forms the conclusion.