The town hall of the Hanseatic City of Wismar is located on the north side of the market square. It was built in 1819. The town hall is a classicist plaster building, which was built on the remains of a building erected in 1319.
The marketplace of the Hanseatic city, with an area of 10,000 m², is one of the largest in northern Germany. On its northern side is the Hanseatic City Hall - a neoclassical building designed by Barca.
In 1807, the left wing of the late Gothic predecessor building collapsed. According to the plans of the Ludwigslust court and country architect Johann Georg Barca, the town hall was rebuilt in the neoclassical style in the period from 1817 to 1819. In the process, the still usable Gothic building remains were included in the new construction, among other things in the basement area.
The function of the town hall is still performed today.