The Gothic St. John's Church in the historic center of Ticino was consecrated around 1350.
The church, built in the 14th century, was damaged during a town fire in 1728. During the following restoration, the roof tower was placed on the gable roof. Master builder Gotthilf Ludwig Möckel carried out a fundamental restoration from 1896 to 1898, during which the porch was added to the west side. The baroque interior was replaced in this course by one in the neo-Gothic style.