Church Zarrentin St. Peter & St. Paul
Zarrentin Church is a Gothic parish church and former monastery church in the historic town center of Zarrentin am Schaalsee. The Romanesque fieldstone and brick church was a village church in the first half of the 13th century. Around 1250, the monastery of Zarrentin was founded as a Cistercian convent. The parish church now became the convent church. The Romanesque fieldstone masonry of the square choir dates from the 1230/40s.
In 1460, using parts of the old church, the present Gothic nave was built of bricks. In 1552 the nunnery was abolished and the church was again the parish church of the village.