The brick church stands on the original Laage village green.
It was built around 1330 as a three-nave brick hall. The very strong square west tower made of brick and fieldstone dates from the 15th century. Structural changes took place after the great city fires. Intervening restorations were carried out from 1841 to 1851. Outside, the choir is decorated with a triple window group, corner pilasters and stair frieze. There are buttresses on the nave. The windows were enlarged during the neo-Gothic remodeling. The wooden furnishings inside show a neo-Gothic design. The neoclassical organ prospect dates from the end of the 18th century. The large, colored glass windows were designed and made by court decoration painter Herrmann Krause from Rostock in 1899. They show scenes from the biblical story, framed by geometric patterns and plant representations.
Architectural style/building style: brick, Gothic, neo-Gothic
The church, which had only bare, whitewashed walls, was given a dignified appearance by painting and endowing stained glass windows at the turn of the century. The four large stained glass windows feature motifs from the biblical story:
- The announcement of the birth of Jesus to Marie
- The three wise men from the east
- The resurrection of the young man at Nain
- The crucifixion of Jesus
The stained glass windows were executed by the court decoration painter Krause in Rostock and date back to the 19th century.
In the course of time, parts of the windows had to be repaired or renewed frequently, as they were repeatedly damaged by the effects of war and unknown perpetrators. The last major restoration of these valuable windows was in 1983 - 1989. These expenses were financed by donations and collections.
Two chandeliers adorn the church. The brass chandelier in the choir was donated by the Domänenrat Mierendorff auf Wardow; the large wrought-iron chandelier was financed by the congregation through collections. It was made according to a drawing by the master builder Hamann (Hagenow) by the master locksmith Tackmann from Laag. This chandelier was awarded a medal at a trade exhibition in Rostock and has hung in the nave since 1892.
The organ was delivered by the organ builder Friese from Polchow for 595 thalers and was inaugurated in 1795. In the 1st World War the front pipes made of tin were removed, melted down and processed into weapons. They were not reinstalled until 1928. In 1957 the organ got an electric wind motor. At the end of the 1960s the organ was restored, and in 1970 the organ loft was extended and a completely overhauled organ with 14 stops and 675 pipes was installed. In 1975 more stops and pipes were installed. At present the organ has 20 stops and 1269 pipes.
The large crucifix on the wall of the sacristy is said to have been donated to the church in 1886 by the first district judge in Laage, "Schröder", in gratitude for his recovery.