Even the smallest villages in Mecklenburg have their own church. Cantnitz is no exception.
The village church dates back to the second half of the 13th century. However, from the beginning the church is not Romanesque, but built in Gothic style. Unlike many village churches from this period, the one in Cantnitz is a brick building. Thus, it is considered the best preserved example of early Gothic hall churches in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. At the beginning of the 18th century, the villagers extended their church with a wooden steeple. Unfortunately, this had to be demolished in 1791. and was not rebuilt for lack of finances.