Only the rampart of Michelenburg Castle in the village of Mecklenburg remains.
The Mecklenburg (in the Middle Ages Michilin-/Michelin-/Mikelinburg = "great castle"), was the original headquarters of the princes and dukes of Mecklenburg descended from Prince Niklot and his son Pribislaw and was located on the territory of the present-day municipality of Dorf Mecklenburg south of Wismar. Today, an earthen wall still bears witness to the castle, which has not been preserved. According to archaeological excavations, the first Slavic rampart in the area of Mecklenburg was built on the tip of a peninsula in the second half of the 7th century. In 1870, the cemetery of the village was placed in the still clearly recognizable castle rampart, which is up to seven meters high. The castle is commemorated today by the street name Am Burgwall.