The former ducal residence palace with the surrounding palace park and the historic estate ensemble is one of the most beautiful places on Lake Schwerin. The art exhibition in the castle is particularly worth seeing. With its location on a steep bank directly on the lake, it is considered an insider's tip for excursions, especially in autumn and in spring during the rhododron bloom. The old nursery houses a farm store and a popular farm café.
Wiligrad Castle was built in 1896-1898 in the neo-Renaissance style. The builder was Johan Albrecht (b. 1857 - d. 1920), Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and at that time regent of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin for his minor nephew Friedrich Franz IV. He named the castle Wiligrad (presumably "great castle") because this is said to have been the name of the main castle of the Slavic princes in the 10th century.
Although a small and rather rural castle, already in the times of the Grand Dukes important international meetings were held here, negotiations were held and celebrations were held. After the castle was expropriated in 1945, an eventful history of use followed as military headquarters, military hospital, refugee accommodation , SED party school, location of the People's Police and branch office of the State Office for the Preservation of Archaeological Monuments of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Since 1991 there has been an exhibition of the Wiligrad Art Association in the rooms of the castle.
The art exhibition
The Wiligrad Art Association shows works by renowned modern artists of all art disciplines within the framework of changing exhibitions. In the rooms of the museum there is the salon, whose panoramic window provides a spectacular view of Lake Schwerin. There is an exhibition store.
Tues. to Fri. 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sat.-Sun. & holidays 11-18 hrs.
Admission 3,50 €
The park/ guided tours
The Society of Friends of Wiligrad Castle (Verein der Freunde des Wiligrader Schlosses e.V.) takes visitors on guided tours of the park and castle ensemble, including the stables and farm buildings. Further information
The Wiligrad Castle Park was famous at the time of its creation for its imposing view axes, the old tree population and magnificent rhododendrons. Scattered throughout the park are historical garden elements, such as streams, a spring, a Slavic baptismal fountain, as well as other memorial stones and works of art. In 2014, the 210 ha park was restored. The park is complemented by modern sculptures by renowned artists. The park is particularly attractive due to its flowing transition into the surrounding forest landscape and walking paths running directly along the shores of Lake Schwerin.
A few hundred meters from the palace building there is a café in the buildings of the old court nursery. In good weather, guests can enjoy coffee and cake outside (with blankets when it is cooler) or in the greenhouses. The café with its rich offer of homemade cakes is very popular among locals.
Opening hours Café Hofgärtnerei
March - Oct 10 am - 6 pm
Nov - Feb Wed-Sun 10 am - 6 pm
Directions/ Parking/ Visitor information
There is a bus service from Schwerin main station. It is also possible to reach Lübstorf by train. From there it is about 2.7 km to Lübstorf, which can be covered by bicycle or on foot during a hike along Lake Schwerin. Wiligrad Castle is located on the western shore of Lake Schwerin and is part of the community of Lübstorf. Lübstorf can be reached via the B106. The approach is directly signposted from Lübstorf.
A parking lot is available at the entrance to Wiligrad.