Freest boatyard emerged from the historical Jarling boatyard, which existed since 1889. In April 2007 the shipyard changes its owner. Kirsten Dubs and the shipyard crew have a lot of plans: Renovate, maintain, modernize, create a new building for training, accommodation and sanitation.
The large and small boat sheds together with slipways, marina and winter storage area remain intact (grandfathering), the charter fleet is expanded with small classic wooden charter boats for the Bodden, the Achterwasser and the lagoon. Each winter season from November to April, two raft boats have been available since 2012 for cozy accommodation in the winter marina harbor. A small museum room is inaugurated in the small boat shed in 2011 and is open for viewing.
Every year at Whitsun, for the campaign KUNST:OFFEN, the boatyard Freest also opens its halls to give artists the opportunity to exhibit in the yard and to receive visitors.