Dozens of ventilation pipes protrude from the earth in the immediate vicinity of the lighthouses. The history of the bunkers on Kap Arkona is long. It begins in 1915 with the construction of the first bunker, but it is unrenovated and not open to the public for safety reasons.
The smaller bunker originates from the Wehrmacht and was converted in GDR times as an office of the 6th Border Brigade Coast. It is referred to as the "Arkona Bunker". Today it houses a documentation on the history of Cape Arkona, from Slavic times to the present. The entrance is free of charge. The larger bunker was built from 1979 to 1986. Starting from a main central corridor with two entrances, there are several independent individual bunkers with a total area of 2,000 square meters. It served as a command post for the 6th Flotilla of the People's Navy and the United Baltic Fleet (VOF) stationed on the bow. The bunkers served as a so-called "protected command post" and were intended to protect against toxic gases and radioactive radiation in the event of war. Today, the second large tube houses a model ship exhibition as well as old navigation equipment. The facility was decommissioned on the day of German reunification, October 3, 1990.