The "House No. 16" is a former merchant's house from the 18th century. This historical building served as the town hall from 1870 to 1946.
The Vineta Museum was reopened in 1997 in the rooms of a former 18th century merchant's house. On three floors, in addition to the history of the town of Barth, constantly changing special exhibitions are shown. On the upper floor there is a section that traces the "Vineta myth". In room U 98, which is modeled on a submarine, visitors go on a voyage of discovery reminiscent of the adventures of Captain Nemo and his Nautilus. All source material on the Vineta theory is presented to the visitor in an eventful way. The reception of Vineta in literature, music and art is also presented.
Town history section
"Barth since the founding of the town" is the focus of the permanent exhibition, from the reign of the Princes of Rügen to the glorious times of the Pomeranian Dukes to Barth from the late 19th century and today's town development. A separate chapter is devoted to Barth's maritime history. Artists, scientists and other personalities shaped the Barth town life. Louis Douzette, Max Esser and more recently Elisabeth Sittig have had a decisive influence on the cultural life of the town. Louis Douzette from Bard is internationally known today with his late romantic moonlight paintings. Max Esser achieved world fame with his Meissen porcelain animal figures. Ferdinand Jühlke, born in Barth, achieved national importance as Lenné's successor in Potsdam and founder of the IGA (International Horticultural Exhibition).
At the same time, special exhibitions on regional and national topics enrich the permanent exhibition. Publications on these topics are available in our museum store.