The striking half-timbered church is a building from the 18th century. The interior, tower, organ and bell date from the second half of the 19th century.
The village Kirch-Jesar is already more than 700 years old, the part of the name Jesar is probably derived from Slavic and means "lake". Already in the 14th century there was a chapel in Kirch-Jesar, which was probably dilapidated after the 30-year war. In 1717 the ducal Mecklenburg court marshal Johann Christoph von Halberstadt had the new church built in simple construction. The wood-clad tower with its slate roof was not built until 1847, as was the interior decoration. A few years later, a bell from a workshop in Wismar was added. In 1881, the church received an organ from master organ builder Johann Heinrich Runge. The gallery had to be specially lowered so that the instrument would fit inside. Around 1913, the painter Willi Schomann, who came from Parchim, created the mural "The Last Judgment" on the choir wall. The young painter was known for his paintings in churches, for example in the Marienkirche in Parchim. At the end of the 1990s, renovation work was started and first the exterior facade was renewed; the tower roof and the organ were also repaired. Further renovation work on the structure is necessary and is supported by donations and a sponsoring association.
The church is Protestant and belongs to the Kirch-Jesar parish.