The brick building of the "Old Surgery" is located in Bergen on the island of Rügen.
Opposite the "Bismarck Oak" in Calandstraße is the clearly visible brick building of the "Old Surgery". The first noteworthy medical care for the population of Bergen did not begin at this location, but already at the end of the 14th century with the establishment of the St. Jürgens Hospital and the leprosy house for lepers in the area of today's Ringstraße. In 1780, the first hospital, a hospital with three rooms and ten beds, was opened. The building of the "Old Surgery" was built from 1860 to 1862 in neo-Gothic architectural style as Bergen Hospital with a capacity of 60 beds. The construction was carried out through the mediation of the Privy Councillor Esse in Berlin and according to the plans of the Royal Building Councillor Waesemann at a cost of 34,000 talers. During the restoration of the historic masonry in July 1999, a construction worker found a bottle in one of the towers. In it was a letter with the following content: "...The hospital in Bergen on Rügen was built under the direction of the master mason Mr. Deysing in Bergen in 1862...". The "Old Surgery" is used today as a medical center.