The three-nave, three-bay hall church made of brick rises into the sky on the north side of Wittenburg's market square. It is a work of the North German brick Gothic style, but also bears Romanesque elements on its facades. The church is Protestant.
The church was begun in 1240 and in the 2nd half of the 13th century it was dedicated to St. Bartholomew, the saint and apostle, who is, among other things, the patron saint of farmers, shepherds, bakers, tailors and saddlers.
The nave is Gothic. On the exterior of the church, however, late Romanesque decorative forms can be seen (e.g. corner pilasters, round arch friezes). An imposing tracery rosette from the 15th century can be seen on the extension to the market side. The grooved and glazed bricks in the choir are remarkable. The mighty tower is a work of the early 20th century.
Particularly worth seeing parts of the interior decoration:
- a delicately carved neo-Gothic altar from 1470/1480 which originally stood in the church of Hagenow
- a pulpit from 1666
- an impressive bronze baptismal font from 1342
- a memorial plaque for the fallen of the "wars of liberation" from 1808 - 1815 and the fallen of the First World War
- an organ by the master organ builder Friedrich Wilhelm Winzer (1848)
- an altar of lights with the 10 commandments
- vaults from the 14th - 15th century