St. Boniface Church of Rügen is the seat of the Catholic parish on Rügen.
The church of St. Boniface in Bergen on the Island of Rügen is the seat of the only Catholic parish on the island. Already at the beginning of the 19th century, the Stralsund priest Wendelin Zink made pastoral trips to the Island of Rügen and held services in private homes of resident Catholics. In 1863, a mission house was built on the outskirts of Bergen with a chapel consecrated on September 8. After approval of the establishment of a mission parish by the Prussian state in 1864, Gustav Machai became the first Catholic parish priest on Rügen, serving until 1869. In addition to a rectory, there was also a Catholic school from 1867 to 1878. In 1871 there were about 700 Catholics on Rügen. On July 1, 1910, when the parish had already become too large for the chapel, it was elevated to an independent parish. The parish priest at the time, Maximilian Kaller - who served from 1905 to 1917 - raised funds for the new neo-Romanesque building, which was completed in 1912. Later, Kaller built a daughter church in Garz. After his departure, he went to the St. Michael's Church in Berlin.