Its glass dome offers a magnificent view of the remains of Jaromarsburg, the fishing village of Vitt and the expanse of the Baltic Sea.
The marine direction finder tower was first built in 1927 in brick construction and served as a marine radio beacon at that time. At that time (from 1911 to 1925), pioneering attempts were made to improve navigation - especially for the Saßnitz-Trelleborg rail ferry line established in 1909 - by emitting directional radio waves. For this purpose, large antenna fields were erected inside the Jaromarsburg. The foundations of the associated radio operating station have been preserved in the interior of the rampart to this day.
The technical equipment of the direction finding tower was destroyed in 1945. The sounding tower at the Slavic rampart, which was rebuilt in the 1990s, is one of the most prominent landmarks on the German Baltic coast. Today, exhibitions, lectures and vernissages are held here and a sun jewelry studio is located under the glass dome.