oldest secular building in the city
After devastating city fires, the last in 1699, the city had to be practically rebuilt. The only reminders of the medieval appearance are the two churches and parts of buildings on the Old Market Square. At the northeast corner of the Old Market is the Old Town Hall. It is a two-story brick building, its core dates back to the 14th century. The walls are almost one meter thick. This oldest secular building in the city has three arches on the east side of the former arcade of the courthouse today with the address Alter Markt 14. The current face of the city is dominated by houses from the 18th and 19th centuries and reflects the requirements of a Mecklenburg agrarian town.