The building complex was built from 1837 to 1842 according to plans by Georg Adolf Demmler as a riding hall with stables and coach house as well as adjoining apartments for the servants. It is located on a peninsula and surrounded by a spacious green area with trees and walking paths. Today the building houses two ministries
The central princely stable building, with riding arena, indoor riding arena, stables and accommodation for servants, is in close visual relation to the nearby Schwerin Castle. The Marstall was used to house horses, carriages and wagons and also to train horses, for representation and for festivities. The spacious side wings also housed apartments for servants.
The Schwerin Marstall is part of the Schwerin Residence Ensemble.
The building is situated on a peninsula and is surrounded by a spacious green area with promenades leading directly along the water. The Marstall peninsula offers wonderful views of the palace island. Particularly striking are mighty solitary trees and an installation of the BUGA 2009 (Blue Horses) behind the riding hall.
The building is now used as the headquarters of two ministries of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.