The market of Putbus is next to the Circus, another square, which was created by Malte zu Putbus at the beginning of the 19th century. On the square today are the town hall, the theater of Putbus and a war memorial.
The market of Putbus was originally a natural square-like extension of the so-called Erlenbruch, which extended to the Putbus Castle. Around 1825, the square, which was initially named after the Princess of Putbus - Louise, was leveled, lawned and planted with Italian poplars. An iron candelabra was erected in the center of the square, but it was later replaced by a war memorial in honor of the sons of the village who fell in 1864, 1866 and 1870/71. In 1819 the seaside resort received permission to hold fairs in the market, and in 1823 permission for trade and commerce. From 1829 there were weekly markets in Putbus. Buildings such as a hotel, the brewery publishing house, the dining house for servants, craftsmen's houses and merchants' stores, honorary residences and the prince's pharmacy were built around the market square.